donderdag 22 maart 2012

Wat de mensen denken



De Dalai Lama legt uit dat je je niet teveel moet aantrekken van wat de mensen van je denken, of het nu goed is dan wel slecht. Maar eerst bekent hij deemoedig dat het hem ook niet altijd lukt:
I think all of us are concerned in particular about maintaining a good reputation. For example, when I am up here on this throne teaching, from time to time, somewhere in the back of my mind, there appears the thought: How am I doing? How are people going to react to this? Are they going to praise me? Maybe not . . . Oh! That did not go well. Will people criticize me? Whenever this happens I need to catch myself and say, Look, now that I am here on this throne transmitting the dharma teachings, I should not allow myself to be affected like this by worldly concerns.
When people praise us and we glow with delight, it is because we think that being praised is beneficial. But that is like thinking that there is some substance to a rainbow or a dream. However much benefit appears to accrue from praise and acclaim, actually there's none at all. However convincing it seems, it is as unreal as a magician's illusion. In exactly the same way, when somebody says something unpleasant or hurtful to us, we need to learn to be patient and forbearing and remind ourselves that their words are just like the sounds of an echo, equally insubstantial and unreal.
Dalai Lama, Bad Reputation, Tricycle.

Geen opmerkingen: